Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Visiting the BULK BINS at the health food store




In an effort to reduce my food packaging as much as possible I made a visit to a local health food store. There was hardly anything in the store that I could buy WITHOUT packaging!!! YIKES!!! What I did discover was the Bulk Bins. Bulk bins had always been a kind of an old fashioned thought in my head and I have never really used them. Now, having the reality of NO TRASH CAN PICKUP- I saw them as one of my few sources of food without packaging! Feeling actually confused just looking at them, I asked the lady what was popular from the bulk bins. She said, quinoa (an original healthy grain), organic popcorn (no GMO's!), short grain organic rice and a couple of other things I don't remember. I selected split peas, lentils, popcorn, chocolate chips, cookies for a mild starter. I'm at home right now trying an Indian dahl recipe and the kids loved the chips and cookies. The food is really a very high quality for an inexpensive price. I started selecting containers that I will use for REFILLING. FUN

No comments:

Post a Comment