Friday, July 24, 2009

Farmer's Market SUCCESS!!!


We finally got to the farmer's market yesterday and successfully got our yummy food almost completely WASTE FREE!!! Peaches, apples, watermelon, oranges all went in my standard reusable grocery bags. The berries were dumped into a compostable container with a lid from Whole Foods. Bread went into my plastic insulated bag with zipper. Today, I am on the looking on the internet for a 'dedicated to bread only' reusable bag that I can bring next time. Haven't found a good one yet.
We did have to do a bit of negotiating with some of the vendors to let us take the food without any packaging, but most were happy about it. The berry lady was the most pleased. The bread lady said she would reuse the bag and I made sure to give her back the bag tie. My daughter insisted on a homemade apple pie in a plastic container saying that she would reuse it over and over again for sandwiches. It is actually a decent container for that use but won't have as long of a life as I will insist on later! We are still transitioning... We had such a GREAT TIME at the market. We tried japanese flowering broccoli, organic Portuguese cheese, yellow watermelon, and fresh pomegranate juice. Outside, personal, inexpensive delicious produce, what a deal!!! SUCCESS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment