Saturday, July 25, 2009

MOTHS in the BULK BINS


OK, I have to admit I didn't want to blog about this. ECO-bias and all. But... this DID HAPPEN! Stopped off at the health food store to get some more of the maple syrup flavored animal cookies that my daughter loves. Brought in my 'saved' plastic bags from my last BULK BIN trip. Tried to get the cookies out of the bulk bin dispenser by pushing on the handle and the cookies were stuck. Bang, bang... still no cookies, bang, bang, bang... called the clerk and she pulled down the bin and opened up the lid to scoop them out directly FLUTTER FLUTTER FLUTTER moths flew out!!! YIKES>>> Now, I remembered all the BAD things about bulk bins- old food, dusty, smelly, old food... insect ridden food. Yes, it's true, that's one of the reasons we evolved to sealable, long shelf life, pre-packaged food!!! They brought me out a big box from the back to scoop from and apologized profusely. I chit chatted with the stock guy in the back on how he could get rid of those moths (maybe cedar blocks, oil or tea tree oil?). But, then again that might affect the quality of the food if not done right... Blaaaaaaa-ick! MOTHS in the food, icky, icky. When I first decided to go bulk I asked the clerk if people really used the bulk bins and what was popular (knowing that those would be the freshest items). So, I had selected a few of the things from her 'popular' list. But, that wasn't enough! WARNING: check out the REAL STATUS of your bulk bins before you buy.

The getting rid of grain moths the advice is pretty simple: CLEAN UP THOROUGHLY!!! Vacuum corners, check underneath even cans, throw away any infested foods, put the rest in ziplocks or rubber sealed containers... store what you have in refrigerator. If you don't want to throw food away, you can kill them by heating or freezing food. As far as repelling try bay leaves in food (apparently won't leave an odor) and on shelves.

Now, let's get back to promoting BULK BINS. Stores can get fantastic, rubber sealed bins that really work that will prevent such investations.

Here's a great post on buying in bulk!! But, then again the blogger lives in Berkeley, California- HOME OF HardCore RECYCLERS and REDUCE WASTE advocates and the social environment supports such admirable behavior. I know, because my sister is one of them!!! GOOD FOR THEM!!


http://gardenofeatingblog.blogspot.com/2008/03/greening-your-kitchen-buy-in-bulk.html

1 comment:

  1. Hi I'm trying to look for nice stacking containers for food storage.

    Hahaaa, yeah the grocery store bulk food dispenser is kind of huge!

    I have a small house and a very small family. We definitely won't eat up that fast.

    Do you have any advice or direction on what or where do I find good storage containers that are food safe and still look pretty?

    ReplyDelete